Best Ways to Learn Web Scraping- With Best Recommendations!
When a person copies any piece of information from a website and saves it in another file, they have actually done what a regular web scraper would do. The biggest difference between manual copy-paste and automatic web scraping is that the manual process takes place on a smaller scale. When it comes to web scraping, intelligent and automated automation must be used to extract data from hundreds or even millions of data points.
Web scraping is not something that an ordinary person can easily perform. In order to obtain properly designed, structured and accurate data in line with the web scraping project, it is necessary to be an expert in this field. We at Scrape.do offer you a web scraper tool created by our expert developers. Moreover, since your transaction takes place over the cloud, it will not use your internet or the power of your computer. Contact us to get the best service at the most affordable prices!
What You Should Know Before You Start Learning Web Scraping
There are web scrapers available in the form of browser extensions, software, or a cloud-based service that you can access over the Internet. It is quite natural that you do not have any information about which of these web scrapers you want to use and how to use them, there is no need to hesitate. In this section, we told you about the best web scraping libraries you can choose for your project:
- BeautifulSoup: BeautifulSoup, which is the easiest tool you can choose among the libraries and tools we mentioned in this section, also has some disadvantages. When you use BeautifulSoup, you must additionally use a request library to make requests to the website, and you must have a parser to extract data. Because of such features, code transfer between web scraping projects becomes extremely complex.
Learn also: The Components of Web Scraping
How Should You Start Learning Web Scraping?
Learning web scraping may seem extremely complicated as there are a lot of programming languages and libraries you can learn, but it is also possible that you can learn it in an easier way. In this section, we’ve given you five different tips on how to get started learning web scraping the easiest.
1. Level Up Starting Easy
If you have decided to create your first scraper to run a web scraping project, you should not lose your enthusiasm by trying to collect the most complex collections of data from the most complex web pages, but instead, you should start with simpler methods.
There are also websites that are specially designed for people to learn web scraping more easily, you should make maximum use of these websites as the sole purpose of these websites is for people to practice. For example, Quotes.toscrape.com would be a good starting practice. However, you should not only use websites designed for web scraping, but after you have mastered the basics of the process, you should go after data that match your interests. If you go after websites that will interest you, you will feel motivated and will enable you to search for new solutions and approaches on your own.
Whatever software language you use, as long as you follow this first recommendation, you will be extremely productive. In addition, this method will be extremely useful for you whether you use a programming language or not. If you want to get used to the basics of books like BeautifulSoup and Scrapy, going very slowly will get better results.
2. Master BeautifulSoup
If you are confident that you have learned the basics, have practiced enough, and have chosen the Python programming language, the next step should be to master the BeautifulSoup library. Mastering BeautifulSoup, a very powerful parsing tool with many different possibilities, can take a long time. After mastering this tool, you will know all the arguments in the find and find_all methods, the concept of parents, children, and siblings, and the attributes in HTML tags as well as an expert software engineer. You will also be able to learn some HTML knowledge after mastering BeautifulSoup.
4. Thoroughly Understand APIs
If you have come this far, we can easily say that you have all kinds of information about scraping websites. However, if you are still not satisfied with where you are and want to improve yourself more, you can try interacting with APIs. API, short for Application Programming Interface, is used by many websites and the general purpose is to connect the front ends of the website to the back ends.
5. Learn About More Tools
Although you know all about web scraping and have done a lot of practice, the truth is that every time you start scraping more complex websites, you will face new challenges to overcome. However, you should not let this make you lose your motivation, because there will be many new tools you can use to meet these challenges.
Best Resources for Learning Web Scraping
We have already mentioned that web scraping is of an extremely complex nature, so learning web scraping can also be extremely difficult. Assuming you are a student, we have listed the best resources for you to learn web scraping.
1. Online Courses
The internet has been flooded with tons of online courses lately, as almost everyone is starting to learn something online. That’s why the best place to start learning web scraping is the internet. It is possible to find many online courses with both paid and free versions on the Internet, and sometimes you can get a certificate by completing the course completely free of charge. The following courses we have provided for you were the best courses to refresh your knowledge, whether you are a beginner or an expert:
- Web Scraping By DataCamp in Python: This course is ideal for people who want to fully explore the concept of website scraping. This online course will also cover information such as HTML structures, XPath syntax, selectors, CSS locators, and responses. You will be able to apply all the techniques you will learn in this course to other Python libraries as well as to Scrapy. The first few parts of the course are completely free and you can complete the course in four hours.
- Web Scraping in Nodejs By Udemy: In the Web Scraping course on Node.js, which you can access via Udemy, you first learn how to scrape the web with Nodejs, Puppeteer, and Cheerio. Next, you will be taught other methods you need to know to scrape a website. Although this course is a paid course, it is lifetime access and is only a 10-hour course.
In addition to the internet, where you can access a lot of information as soon as possible, you should also consider making use of books. In the web scraping area, you can find books on Python web scraping, PHP web scraping, Java web scraping, and more. Many of these books have been covered by experts, many are also available in e-book form, and some are completely free. Here are the best books you can use to improve your web scraping knowledge:
- Web Scraping with Python by Richard Lawson: This book, which describes a web scraping process by combining real-life problems and solutions, is an extremely valuable book written by a real-life web scraping practitioner. After reading this book, you will learn in detail about Scrapy, learn how to deal with CAPTCHA, see how dynamics are handled, and learn what simultaneous downloads are. Let’s also say that this book is a book that anyone with basic Python knowledge can read.
- Web Bots, Spiders, and Screen Scrapers by Michael Schrenk: This book describes how you can automate your purchases, and also explains how to interpret and analyze information you get from a website. Since all the codes in this book are extremely simple, we can say that this book can be read and used without difficulty by people who are new to web scraping.
We have said that the internet is one of the fastest places to learn about a subject. Although it is claimed that there is a lot of worthless information on the Internet, the number of valuable resources is also quite high. If you want to get started with web scraping, you can also use videos, which can be an excellent resource for learning a new topic. You should also remember that a video helps a student gain the visual understanding necessary to understand a topic. In addition, if a student wants to understand the process better, they can watch the parts they want again.
Since data is obtained with web scraping and data is a serious need for companies from all industries, it has become popular day by day and everyone has started researching on the internet about web scraping. The result was blogs that gave clear information about web scraping and tried to explain the process accurately. While most of these blogs are ideal for beginners, some content has advanced information that can be used by experts as well. Access to these blogs is mostly completely free, and if a student has a question on a topic, the student will also be able to start a discussion with the author.
If you don’t want to go through the hassle of learning web scraping addition to the hassle of web scraping, we have a great offer for you. At scrape.do, we want to help you with the web scraping project you want by offering the best performance at the most affordable prices. To contact us, simply use the contact information on our website.
You May Interest
Explore The History of Web Scraping
Web scraping, which was first developed to automate tasks that are complex or …
What is Web Data Harvesting and How It is Connected to Node Web Scraper?
With the scraping packages that we tailor to your needs on our website, it …